If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (830) 379-7474

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fires and Food Safety

2/4/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Fires and Food Safety Contaminated food after a fire.

Residential fires are, unfortunately, a common occurrence. Some 2 million American homes go up in flames yearly. In the aftermath of fire, people are left to salvage their lives and belongings.

Whether it's the whole house involved or just a fire in the kitchen, people try to save what they can — including food. But generally, saving food that's been in a fire is not a good idea.

Food exposed to fire can be compromised by three factors: the heat of the fire, smoke fumes, and chemicals used to fight fire. 

Heat from the Fire


Food in cans or jars may appear to be okay, but if they've been close to the HEAT of a fire, they may no longer be safe.

Why? Heat from a fire can activate food spoilage bacteria. If the heat is extreme, the cans or jars themselves can split or rupture, rendering the food unsafe.

Fumes from a Fire


One of the most dangerous elements of a fire is sometimes not the fire itself, but TOXIC FUMES released from burning materials.

Those fumes can contaminate food. Any type of food stored in permeable packaging — cardboard, plastic wrap, etc. — should be thrown away. Toxic fumes can permeate the packaging and contaminate the food.

Discard any raw foods stored outside the refrigerator — such as potatoes or fruit — that could be contaminated by fumes.

Surprisingly, food stored in refrigerators or freezers can also become contaminated by fumes. The refrigerator seal isn't airtight, and fumes can get inside.

Discard food if exposed to smoke fumes from fire.

Chemicals in Fires


Chemicals used to fight fires contain toxic materials and can contaminate food and cookware. The chemicals cannot be washed off the food.

Foods that are exposed to chemicals should be thrown away. This includes food stored at room temperature, such as fruits and vegetables, as well as foods stored in permeable containers like cardboard and screw-topped jars and bottles.

Canned goods and cookware exposed to chemicals can be decontaminated.  Wash in a strong detergent solution. Then dip in a bleach solution (1 tablespoon of unscented, liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water) for 15 minutes.

If you or anyone you know has been the unfortunate victim of a fire please give SERVPRO of Guadalupe & Gonzales Counties a call at 830-379-7474.  We have the training and expertise to inventory your discarded items, clean and prepare your home or building for the re-build process.

Other News

View Recent Posts